By now you should have definitely realized that I am an aspiring foodie. I’ve always enjoyed eating and certainly entertaining those around me! So, as a self-proclaimed food aficionada I love to recreate dishes. Those of which I’ve had the pleasure of indulging in! Whether it’s been at a restaurant, in people’s homes, or simply pretending Giada’s meal miraculously came through the TV, it is certainly something I do.
So as always, while at a friend’s cocktail party I had these heavenly grilled cheese bites made of Honey Ham & Gruyere Cheese. My palate did the happy dance! Is it me or is there something about turning comfort food into fashionable gourmet treats that keeps everyone going gaga?!
I’ve been making these yummy treats for years and have tried various renditions, but I finally added what I think is the best complimentary item—a few slices of Granny Smith apple. Yup! Honey ham, Gruyere cheese, and apple. The crispness of the apple along with the gooey cheese and sweet ham is ridiculously amazing!! A definite must try!
Here’s what you’ll need:
1. A few slivers of honey ham
2. A few slivers of Gruyere cheese—you want to ensure it melts to perfection so thin slices are the way to go!
3. A couple of slices of Granny Smith apple
4. 2 slices of bread—Make sure the bread is not cut too thick. The trick is that you want all of the ingredients to be relatively thin so that they all cook evenly.
5. 2 tablespoons of Butter
1. Assemble your sandwich. Layer in the ham, cheese and apples.
2. Spread ½ a tablespoon of butter on the bread. Note—I’m referring to the outside once your sandwich is fully assembled.
3. Over medium heat, add one table spoon of butter to your skillet.
4. Allow butter to melt and then place sandwich buttered side down.
5. While one side browns, spread ½ a tablespoon of butter on the other side of the sammie
6. Then flip and wait for the other side to brown to perfection
Happy Entertaining my lovelies!